Thursday, September 20, 2007

WHERE IS THE HIP HOP NATION?

The kids did good, they did really good. I know that a contingency from Howard University went down, as well as colleges from around the country. The young people finally took up the march where so many of us left off, and where the death of Dr. King ended it. I give praise where praise is due, to the black youth of this country for stepping up when it counted.

On another front, I heard an announcement this morning that rock star David Bowie has contributed $10,000 to the defense fund for the Jena 6. Rock on with your bad self, David Bowie.

And on this front; where is the hip hop nation in all this? This was the perfect chance for those who write hate lyrics about black women to come out of the closet and ride for the Jena 6. Were their schedules so busy about the business of betraying us to the white moguls they work for that they couldn't take the time to go to such a historic protest as this? Hip hop "artists", tired of being seen as the women haters that they are, always having the spotlight shone on their misogynistic portrayals of women, could have used this time to show another side of themselves, if there is another side. Where was big mouth Kanye West, 50 Cent, MIMS, Nas, Nellie(is he relevant anymore, as if I know), Russell (talking out his buttcrack) Simmons? If anyone knows whether or not any of these "artists" made themselves relevant and available, let me know. I wouldn't want to besmirch any of their good names. Or interrupt any of those minstrel shows they put on.

1 comment:

Dirty Red said...

Good Post.
I don't know if any of the idiots you mentioned were down in Jena, But Ricki Smiley said on his radio show this morning that Ice Cube was there. I guess we are getting old, Mrs Jazzy. The music I used to listen to growing up I can't stand now. But I guess the old saying is true, "with age comes wisdom". It still surprises me that with all the black milionaires in this country, why do those young men even have to worry about a defense fund? Where is oprah? She can give away cars on her show (ie multiple cars), but she can't pay 90k to get a brother out of jail that was targeted because of his skin? I think that is a question for the "things that make you go hmmm" section on my site.